Wednesday 21 March 2007

Food Part I: Melbourne

Food is the one of the basic necessities of life. Today's post will be about the food that I've tasted in Melbourne city. Be prepared to pay around A$10 for a decent meal. Food can get expensive anywhere around, so remember to at least check out the menu before you order. Also check out if it's a vegetarian restaurant before you enter. I entered this restaurant with a friend, and we took a seat and checked out the menu. I was wondering why every item on the menu is a mixture of some vegetables until I realised it was a vege restaurant. It was a straight line for the exit after that.


Having a meal at the post Deng cafe at chinatown
The post Deng cafe was one of the first restaurants that I visited after arriving in Melbourne. There are many reasons that make this a restaurant that shouldn't be visted. Initially I was attracted by them having this novelty idea of a communist theme restaurant, and also having two chinese girls dressed in red qi-paos at the entrance enticing customers to enter. Then they had a set meal which seemed like quite reasonable. But the experience didn't turn out that good after all. Well, it didn't affect me much except that the food didn't turn out as delicious, as sufficient and worth the money as it seemed. The main problem in the restaurant was they had a shortage of workers and food couldn't be served quickly, plates couldn't be cleared quickly etc. I saw this couple who waited quite a long while before their orders were taken, and another some time before food was served. While some plates were left on another table for at least half an hour after the customers were long gone. As customers kept streaming in, even one of the girls at the entrance had to act as a waitress. Then there was some problem with another customer demanding her food to be vegetarian when they served her some food which wasn't. The manager talked to her and after some time, I saw the manager lost his cool and just slammed the pot of food onto another table. Then there was some problems with the cashier, someone got a wrong bill. Anyway there was just lots of problem.

Brunetti in Lygon street is good

A latte and some pastries from Brunetti. Just looking at them is delicious enough


Il Doce Freddo is a highly recommended gelato shop along Lygon street

A wide selection of ice-creams

I chose the lychee flavoured gelato and it was YUMMY!


This shark fin house is supposedly the best yum cha spot in Melbourne city. There was a long queue outside the restaurant at half an hour before it opens. It was really good and it costed me A$30. I had to make the most of my time, so I dilly-dallied and spent 1.5hours in there

No comments: